FTA delay departure due to dangerous conditions

Despite the fact that many expeditions left yesterday base camp for a summit attempt, FTA members stayed in their tents because of what they perceived as dangerous conditions. Team leaders Fabrizio Zangrilli and Chris Szymiec believed that the recent storms had left over a foot of snow.

This layer of snow could cause dangerous conditions underfoot. There is lightly packed snow now on top of older packed snow. This can result in an avalanche.

They plan to make a start to the summit in the next few days if possible. Fabrizio has already made a start and Chris will join him a few days later with climbers from FTA. From the 27th of July to the 29th they hope to get up high on K2 or at least to C3 and C4. They have already acclimatized on Broad Peak so there is no need to do that.

The other part of the FTA expedition that went for only Broad Peak have left for home.

Source: FTA blog

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: